Wednesday, July 26, 2017

30 BOOKS I'VE REALLY ENJOYED IN THE PAST FEW YEARS


A friend asked me today for a few book suggestions - so CONNIE, here you go!! 

I owe a debt of gratitude to the 4 BOOK CLUBS that I attend each month, because most of these were introduced to me through them. It's quite fun to read "outside of your normal comfort zone". Especially if it's GOOD WRITING. And the book discussions often bring to light a perspective I would have missed on my own, which I'm thankful for.

All of the following, I'd rate out of 5, either a 4 ("I really liked it") or 5 ("It was amazing").  Thank you Goodreads.com for this rating system!

OK CONNIE, this should keep you busy for a few weeks..........

  1. America's First Daughter by Stephanie Dray and Laura Kamoie
  2. Pope Joan by Donna Woolfolk Cross
  3. Ordinary Grace by William Kent Krueger
  4. Sarah's Key by Tatiana de Rosnay
  5. All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr
  6. The Dovekeepers by Alice Hoffman
  7. The Soul of an Octopus by Sy Montgomery
  8. Mrs. Kennedy and Me by Clint Hill and Lisa McCubbin
  9. Five Presidents by Clint Hill and Lisa McCubbin
  10. The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer
  11. The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova
  12. The Postmistress by Sarah Blake
  13. The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt
  14. The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah
  15. The Tender Bar by JR Moehringer
  16. The Sense of an Ending by Julian Barnes
  17. Winter Garden by Kristin Hannah
  18. The Life We Bury by Allen Eskens
  19. The Perfume Collector by Kathleen Tassaro
  20. A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens
  21. A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith
  22. The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls
  23. The Lilac Girls by Martha Hall Kelly
  24. The Paris Architect by Charles Belfoure
  25. I Always Loved You by Robin Oliveira
  26. The Last Painting of Sarah de Vos by Dominic Smith
  27. The Book Thief by Markus Zusak
  28. The Devil in the White City by Erik Larson
  29. The Valley of Amazement by Amy Tan
  30. Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden
JOAN



6 comments:

  1. Nice list. I've only read seven of the but they all rated a five. Thanks for sharing...:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank for you taking the time to read my list AND to share your thoughts. I'm interested to know which 7 you read and rated a 5?? Joan

      Delete
    2. I've read 5 (might be 6). But I read a lot of history too. And I only read just before I go to sleep every night, only a couple of chapters.

      Delete
    3. I never read before sleeping - I try to make time for it during the day or I'd fall asleep and never get any substantial reading done...... Zzzzzzzzzz........

      Delete
    4. On further reflection I actually read nine...:)
      2 - The historical is somewhat tenuous but definitely possible. 5
      6 - You go girls.... 5
      13 - Convoluted and a little creepy but got my attention 5
      20 - My high school English teacher required it. I loved all my English teacher and later married one. 5
      21 - Four and one half
      23 - The German doctor definitely failed the Hippocratic oath - )
      The book itself - 5
      27- book 5 movie 4
      28 - Chicago Worlds Fair 5 The part about the killer I mostly skipped...

      Delete
    5. Aren't you wonderful to share all of this with me Troutbirder!! Your comments are terrific. Fun that you married an English teacher - wondering if she was YOUR English teacher??? I didn't see the THE BOOK THIEF movie....

      Obviously you read a lot. Feel free to share some of your favorites that I may have missed. Again, thanks SO much for sharing!! Joan

      Delete