Sunday, August 11, 2019

REMBRANDT'S HOUSE AND STUDIO IN AMSTERDAM



In APRIL I started in AMSTERDAM with FAMILY (they flew home from PARIS) and I ended in AMSTERDAM with FRIENDS.

As FAMILY, we TRIED but FAILED to find REMBRANDT'S HOUSE (REMBRANDTHUIS). We walked and walked and followed the signs, but walked right past the street that it's on...... So, with my FRIENDS, we took an UBER from the hotel and it was HIS responsibility to get us there! Success. Oh, how I wish my niece LESLIE, BRADY, and their kids SADIE, and HAZEL had seen it. They would have really enjoyed it, as did I.  

The interior of his 3-story home is wonderful. He lived there in the mid-1600's!! HIGH CEILINGS with PAINTINGS all the way up, with elaborate FIREPLACES in most rooms.....










...... his BED is in a built-in wood ALCOVE!









Interesting DOORS and TILE FLOORS, a WALK-IN FIREPLACE in the kitchen and a SPIRAL STAIRCASE with a unique HANDRAIL.









STAFF shared the details of REMBRANDT'S working STUDIOS with a demonstration in his PRINTMAKING studio. I was particularly fascinated by this because it was the same process we used when I learned this in college. I actually framed one of my PRINTS and when I look at it, I'm amazed that I created it.










Some of REMBRANDT'S BLACK and WHITE PRINTS show why he's considered one of the GREAT MASTERS!












In the next room is his PAINTING STUDIO.






The COLORS of the PAINT PIGMENTS are so VIBRANT!!  Yet in my opinion, his work took on a darker tone most of the time. 

Notice the HUGE stone next to the PIGMENT TABLE. This was used to grind colorful ROCKS into a fine powder before mixing them with oil, etc. to make them liquidy (is that a word?  Sounds funny......).










On the third floor is another STUDIO and a GALLERY with a couple of REMBRANDT'S PAINTINGS.
















All in all, I HIGHLY RECOMMEND this MUSEUM if you find yourself in AMSTERDAM. REMBRANDT was a REMARKABLE TALENT and it's INCREDIBLE and FUN to be in the home where he lived and worked from 1639 - 1656!!


JOAN







No comments:

Post a Comment