Tuesday, August 11, 2020

PART 2: HOW DID YOU END YOUR WEEKEND? MY ONGOING STORY..........


PART 2:

On Saturday morning AAA charged the battery in the VOLVO so I could drop it off at my mechanic's to be worked on when they got back in on Monday. They had to order battery cable terminals and said I'll probably get it back on Tuesday (today). The JAG was running, so no worries, I had wheels when needed.

MONDAY (yesterday) was going to be a busy day for me. 

FIRST:
I hopped into the JAG at noon to drive to PHYSICAL THERAPY in West Chester. I was about halfway there when I got a call from my HOME SECURITY COMPANY that my alarm was going off. POOR CLOVER!!! I immediately turned around and headed home to turn it off. On the say I rescheduled PT for later that afternoon.

NEXT:
At 2:15 I had my semi-annual DENTAL CLEANING in Wayne. No problems there. By the time I left, it seemed silly to head home, so I drove directly to WEST CHESTER  for PT. I had a good book with me to pass the time that I'd have to wait.

NEXT:
As I'm exiting RT 202, my BRAKE PEDAL doesn't feel right - I had to push it all the way to the floor for it to brake.  I'm within 2 MILES of PT so I just take my time and stay far back from any car in front of me.  

NEXT:
UH OH
......... as I pull into the parking lot, there is a massive amount of SMOKE coming from under the hood. My mind runs through possibilities - "Does this car have brake fluid that might be leaking on the hot engine?", etc.  Then I realize "GET OUT OF THE CAR, JOAN!!" I grab my purse and cell phone and jump out. PUDDLING under the car, with a streak on the macadam from where I pulled in, is leaked GREEN LIQUID. What the heck is THAT? (I'm told later it's probably ANTIFREEZE).

I call AAA (ONCE AGAIN!) for a TOW TRUCK this time, and they tell me it will probably be a 4-HOUR WAIT (until 8:15pm) when of course the office building will be closed and it will be dark outside...... 

Naturally, I only have the BASIC AAA PLAN (this is probably only the second time I've needed AAA in 40 years!), so I'm told I will have to stay with the car to pay the driver for the 4.5 MILE OVERAGE ($18) to get the JAG to my mechanic. THAT'S not gonna happen!

Instead, I called my mechanic and got the name of the TOW TRUCK COMPANY that they use (ABEL - a local name that goes back to my very younger days!). They were able to be there in 20 min - AND - I didn't have to be there - AND - I could leave the keys with the car.

Sooooooooo...........  I'm carless. For now. 

Hey, we're used to being QUARANTINED at home these days, so it's no big deal, right?


JOAN




No comments:

Post a Comment