Saturday, November 22, 2014

LIFE'S UNEXPECTED "LITTLE THINGS" TOTALLY ENTERTAIN ME

I love life.  I really, really do.  I am entertained daily by the unexpected "little things".

I'll give you a "for instance"......... 

This week I was with my Aunt in Philadelphia waiting for her new bedroom furniture to arrive. The two delivery guys were young (30's), "TALL, DARK and HANDSOME" - WITH AN ACCENT (darn it - I'm too old). I asked where they were from and they told me SERBIA

I said, "I can't believe it - I'm going to that part of the world next week!".  I also told them that a tour guide for a Danube River Cruise I took 2 years ago is from BELGRADE, SERBIA.

"Her name is BOJANA", I said.

"There are only a million BOJANA's in Belgrade", was his reply.

Because I still stay in touch with Bojana, I was able to show him her photo on Facebook.  He asked if he could write her a note from my Facebook page in his language, which made me chuckle and of course I said yes.


And the "coincidences" continue........

They asked where all I was going next week and I said, "The first 4 days I'll be in LJUBLJANA, SLOVENIA" (the 2 J's are silent).  

He said, "That's where my "ex" is from!"  (Seriously?  Is this for real??)

He proceeded to tell me that LJUBLJANA is not a huge city (goodie!), but it's a really nice place and I should be sure to "try everything" while I'm over there. 

They asked if I was going by bus and I told them the tour will be mostly by boat along the Croatian coast. They wondered if I'd be visiting HVAR, a CROATIAN ISLAND.  I AM!!  They think HVAR is the most beautiful island anywhere.  They told me the Croatian coast is so spectacular - there will be plenty of fresh seafood and great wines (I'm happy!).  AND it probably won't be as cold along the coast as it is here right now.  EXCELLENT news!!

SERIOUSLY, what are the odds of one week before going to CROATIA and LJUBJANA, SLOVENIA that I would meet someone whose ex-wife is from this little-known city, far from the USA? I'm completely entertained by it all and it makes me chuckle.  (Laughing is good for the soul, right?)  Life is such a blast.  I'm hoping you know EXACTLY what I'm talking about here!!

This is just one little example of the fun things that happen in MY life EVERY DAY - all of which I could take for granted or easily overlook and completely miss the JOY of the moment. I try to regularly "pay attention" - to appreciate these "little things" when they occur - I'm in awe as they unfold......

GOTTA LOVE IT!!

Joan


8 comments:

  1. Love this, Joan! I've seen it happen so often. We have neighbors at our beach condo who live near our son in Indiana and once took something we needed to get to him back with them. On a Road Scholar tour last year one of the guides was from the next town over from James. He offered to have his mother ride bikes with me to show me around. Erinn met her husband at WVU. He grew up around the block from where Jim's aunt lived and went to the same church and elementary school as Jim, in Philadelphia! Imagine that and meeting Erinn who grew up in FL while they were in WV?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marjie, these are GREAT examples!! Love them and thanks for sharing. Ain't Life GRAND?!!

      Delete
  2. Joan, you never cease to amaze me. BTW how many new boyfriends will you accumulate on your trip next week? Tall, dark & handsome?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you.

      Oh goodness, ME?? Accumulate boyfriends while traveling? Ok, I don't want to let down my fan base, so I'll make an effort to do a little collecting while I'm over there. Twisted my arm!! xo

      Delete
  3. I love that you pay attention to, and find joy in the little things. I find myself doing that and somehow the world seems more alive

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beautifully stated Michelle. I appreciate that you were able to put that into words - life is definitely more "alive".

      Delete
  4. I love when things like this happens. I must drive my husband crazy because I am always stopping to chat with people. I really think I need to get to Slovenia and Croatia. It sounds incredible. I have many future honey moons planned with my husband that we will do when our kids are older. We only have one so it's going to be a bit of a wait. BUT I just booked a trip to Melbourne. 11 hour drive with toddler here we come!!! haha! Adventurous us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Future Honeymoons - ahhhhh...... I like how that sounds. A girl has to dream, and plan and make it happen - all at the right time tho, as you said, after the kids are grown. I'm semi-retired (62) and I'm doing as much traveling as I can each year and loving the differing experiences.

      Hoping your trip to Melbourne is a true adventure. Enjoy it all.

      Delete