Wednesday, August 17, 2016

REMEMBERING MY FRIEND, BETTY ANN

Let me start out by saying that I'm VERY SPIRITUAL. I believe in GOD and ANGELS and our SPECTACULAR, MIRACULOUS, MYSTERIOUS, EVER-PRESENT, RESPONSIVE and GENEROUS UNIVERSE.

I've always had an aversion to "organized religion" for myself, but I totally understand the need and desire and commitment for others to be a part of something that provides not only spiritual comfort, but inspirational readings, music, consistency and a social aspect as well. My HEART and SOUL are FILLED with all of these aspects (ok, maybe not "consistency".......).

I've never read nor studied the BIBLE (nor any other sacred religious book). I've been encouraged to read excerpts through the years and have taken them seriously and am often "moved" by what it says.

All of this is a preface to my short story about a BIBLE reading at a service I attended this week to celebrate the life of my friend, BETTY ANN at the 1-Year Anniversary of her death. BETTY ANN started this family tradition on the 1-Year Anniversary of the death of her son, BART. She wanted a "CELEBRATION" of his life, despite the family's ongoing grief and the hole in her heart that would never, ever heal.

So, this week at the CELEBRATION of BETTY ANN'S LIFE, I was truly moved by a BIBLE passage that was read by her oldest of 4 sons, BRAD (Philippians 4:6-9).  He told us that his Mom repeatedly reminded BRAD of this passage when he needed it most, many years ago.

Interestingly enough, a 11/17/2014 HUFFINGTON POST article points out:
  • "According to data released by AMAZON about the most highlighted passage in Kindle ebooks, the most popular passage from the BIBLE is one on reducing anxiety and finding trust in GOD. (Philippians 4:6-7)" 

A few verses longer, here is the passage BRAD read to us, which I DO try to put into practice every day:

  • "Don't worry about anything. Instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done. Then you will experience God's peace, which exceeds anything we can understand. His peace will guard your hearts and minds as you live in Christ Jesus.
  • And now dear brothers and sisters, one final thing. Fix your thoughts on what is true, and honorable, and right, and pure, and lovely, and admirable. Think about things that are excellent and worthy of praise. Keep putting into practice all you learned and received from me - everything you heard from me and saw me doing. Then the God of peace will be with you."

I miss my friend BETTY ANN, one of the smartest and most gutsy women I've known.

JOAN



4 comments:

  1. Nice post and a wonderful reading. Just before it, in the prior chapter of Phillipians (3:13-16) is one of my favorites: ...but one thing I do: forgetting what lies behind and reaching forward to what lies ahead, I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right. That's a great one too. Thank you for taking the time to share it here. Joan

      Delete
  2. This section of Phillippians is my go-to section and seems very relevant to my life.
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen, sure helps to have a "go-to" passage or two when in need. xo

      Delete