Tuesday, June 20, 2017

WOLF SANCTUARY VISIT



Who knew that there is a WOLF SANCTUARY in LITITZ, PA within an hour of my house?! 

Well, I did and actually had it on my "60 THINGS TO DO AND SEE IN MY 60's" list. In January some friends and I visited the SANCTUARY and I thought you might enjoy seeing some of the photos I took of the WOLVES - although their website has a much more beautiful selection of WOLF photos, I have to admit. 

What a great experience for children AND adults. On 80 acres, for the past 30 years, one family has provided shelter and care for the WOLVES and has created an educational destination for the community and afar. There is no government or corporate financial support - they exist merely on donations from people like us.

This first group of WOLVES have been together for many years and from what we were told, they won't let any new wolves join their pack.




Isn't this one a handsome WOLF? Looks like you could "cuddle" him, but I would caution you to drop that thought.......








It was COLD, drizzly and a bit sloppy and slippery the day we visited. To see all of the wolves, we had to climb a pretty steep hill. With a bad knee and hip, it was challenging and tiring for me, BUT I made it to the top and most importantly back down to the bottom without a fall!! Ok, I was holding onto the fence as I creeped down the hill........




This one, one of the Volunteer favorites, is ready for something to eat!  Notice him scratching at the fencing to get the Volunteer's attention.






Tickets are nominally priced and private tours are the norm. The day we went, unexpectedly there were too many people there for any private tours, but the volunteers, who stood in front of each den, were enthusiastic and offered wonderful information about each of the wolves - about their habits, their history and their individual personalities. Each volunteer is PASSIONATE about the care of these WOLVES and knows every one of them by name.

I highly recommend a day here if you love animals, the outdoors and learning new things. It's also a beautiful drive out in the COUNTRYSIDE of LANCASTER COUNTY.


JOAN
PS On our way out, I noticed this OLD gasoline pump that must have been from "back-in-the-day" - 32 CENTS PER GALLON?!!








1 comment: