Saturday, August 30, 2014

HAVE YOU STARTED YOUR CHRISTMAS SHOPPING YET?


CHRISTMAS GIFT-GIVING is a big celebration in our family and we start thinking about it (and even shopping) right around this time. I know, I know, it's still summer (here in the States) so YOU haven't given it a thought yet.......  But wouldn't it be great to reduce the Holiday stress by being super organized ahead of time?  

A few years ago, our growing family (15 of us) got VERY organized with our shopping. 

"The younger ones" never knew what to get "the older ones" and "the older ones" struggled with what to get "the younger ones", so everyone made "wish lists" and passed them around.  BUT it was difficult and time-consuming to keep track of what was already purchased by each other - way too many emails back and forth!

SO, we found a gift registry website called "Gift Pickle". YIPPEE!!!  Well, "Gift Pickle" disappeared this year (go figure!) BUT we found an even better solution that I thought I'd share with you, in case you too want to get organized - GIFTSTER! We actually keep our "wish lists" up-to-date year-round (and update changed clothing sizes too), which also helps when Birthdays roll along.


HERE'S HOW "GIFTSTER" WORKS -
  • STEP 1 - One person (the Administrator) sets up the "FAMILY" account (IT'S FREE). GIFTSTER asks the Administrator to list the emails of each family member and it sends invitations for you. 
  • STEP 2 - Each family member accepts the invitation and logs on to the website.
  • STEP 3 - Each person sets "Account Preferences" to "SHARED", not "Public" (unless you have hopes that since the whole world can now see your "list", a secret admirer is going to buy you something special........) 
  • STEP 4 - Each person adds the GIFTSTER button to the tool bar (just drag it up there).
  • STEP 5 - Each person creates a "Wish List" of gifts. 
    • When browsing a website and you see something you want, just click the GIFTSTER button on your tool bar and it adds the item to your GIFTSTER list. SUPER EASY!!
  • STEP 6 - Now it's time to shop for each other........  
    • Look at someone's list and mark which items you will purchase.  
    • All family members can see what's been already "claimed", but the person whose list it is, can't see what's been purchased.  This preserves the element of surprise (VERY important to me!).  
    • Naturally you can also be creative and buy something not on the list, right?

AN ADDED BONUS - my niece Brianne just told us about a website that gives you CASH BACK for purchases that you make on most websites (I'm saving you money here - this works all year round).  



  • Sign in to www.EBATES.com (FREE)
  • Shop at any store from the EBATES website
  • Make your purchase and EBATES will send you the "ebate" by check or to your Paypal account.

Did I almost get you in the spirit???

Happy Shopping!!

Joan & Willow

(Photos from 2013 Christmas)



26 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Me too. Made my first purchase yesterday and received an EBATE!!

      Delete
  2. How formal! And also, I haven't even thought about Christmas yet. Maybe I should?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have started shopping for the little people, but that's about it. This is such a great idea, especially if you have loads of people to buy for.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Catherine. One needs to be organized to save one's sanity, right?

      Delete
  4. That is an awesome idea! We're big on the give a gift that will REALLY be appreciated in my family (i.e. you ask for it!!) so this would work wonderfully for us! Thanks for the heads-up! Felicity xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Felicity - so glad you can use this idea. I would love to be a fly on your wall on Christmas day! xo

      Delete
  5. I'm not ready to get in the spirit just yet. Where has 2014 gone? It does sound like a good idea for big families though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great idea. I love those photos of you and your dog. It's making me feel festive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I created a little stir in you....... although pumpkins come first of course.

      Delete
  7. Amazingly you have got me in the spirit of Christmas Joan. I usually start thinking about Christmas shopping when the kids finish school and that normally leaves me with about one week to get all the shopping done. I know, very disorganised. This year however I'm determined to change my ways. You've inspired me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to be of help Deb! I just ordered my first gift this past weekend. Nothing better than being a blogger who can inspire.......

      Delete
  8. I have JUST started to make my list...I am going for a handmade christmas this year! :) (that sentiment will probably last until it gets to about Dec the 18th and then I will think shit! and have to do a mad dash to the shops!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I LOVE a handmade Christmas!! It does take some "planning" tho, doesn't it? Have fun with it. The joy is in the giving, right?

      Delete
  9. Hey Joan! Love your new blog. Thanks for all the tips!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JANINE!! So glad you visited - hope you'll return again and again. xo

      Delete
  10. Can't wait for Christmas-I started wrapping gifts on Halloween!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for you!! I'm about halfway through my wrapping Brianne. Must complete it all by Thanksgiving this year. Thanks again for the Ebates tip - love it and love sharing it with others!! xoxo

      Delete