Saturday, March 26, 2016

BOOK REVIEW - "WINTER GARDEN" by KRISTIN HANNAH (NO SPOILERS)



WOW...... 
WOW........... 
WOW...............

HISTORICAL FICTION is my favorite genre and I seem to be drawn to books about WWII - perhaps because this war ended just 7 years before I was born or perhaps because in school we were never taught anything about it. Could this be because it was all too "fresh"......?? Now it seems that there is an overabundance of WWII books. Is our generation searching for "answers"?? 

To find a book about WWII that takes place in RUSSIA, was a new slant for me - I was intrigued to read it. It's a story of love, family and strength-of-spirit under STALIN'S rule in LENINGRAD, RUSSIA. I'm embarrassed to say that I had to look up the location of LENINGRAD and was astounded to find that the city was called "LENINGRAD" from 1924 to 1991 when the name was then changed to ST. PETERSBURG.

I was physically and emotionally moved by this book. For 50 pages or so I think I forgot to breathe. Spell binding. Gut wrenching. I had about 80 pages to go and didn't want to put it down, but had to take a break for a small glass of wine, a deep breath and for my blood pressure to return to normal.

KRISTAN HANNAH is one amazing storyteller. She has the writing capacity to make the reader feel right in the environment with the characters. I had this same reaction when I read her 2015 "THE NIGHTINGALE"- also an excellent book that takes place during WWII but in France

Although the book was on my shelf for several years before reading it, I appreciate that my friend Bev recommended it, way back when. But, be warned, "WINTER GARDEN" is NOT a book for the faint-of-heart. This is a story that will stay with me for a very, very long time........... 

JOAN



6 comments:

  1. I have put her on my "to read historical fiction" list. Thanks Joan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A friend who has read all of her books said the original ones are more romance novels and the ones in the last decade are best. Enjoy!!

      Delete
  2. Glad you liked it so much ! Haven't I been recommending this for a while now?? :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen,
      Oh goodness..... have you? Book Club is going to be enthralled. Thank you!
      Joan

      Delete