Friday, April 8, 2016

CARRIERES DE LUMIERES in PROVENCE, FRANCE

Yesterday I enjoyed lunch out with my cousin DENISE who mentioned that she loves my Blog. Awww...... nothing like a little positive reinforcement to make your day!

ONE of the things we discussed was PROVENCE, FRANCE - her trip there last year and my upcoming trip. Such a wonderful place, full of charm, good food, good WINE, country markets, boutiques, antiquities and beauty. I can't wait to be there again!!!

I was describing CARRIERES DE LUMIERES, near LES BAUX-DE-PROVENCE, which DENISE didn't have a chance to visit, so I promised her that my next Blog post would be all about it with many photos.

Last August, when I took my niece, her husband and their 3 children to France, we visited this magical place. It's an audio-visual experience in what was once a quarry, but transformed in 1976. Music plays while photos of paintings are continuously projected onto the smooth, almost 30 feet high (9 meters) limestone walls. To see the full display takes about an hour.

Arriving at CARRIERES DE LUMIERES.......





Last year they featured paintings by MICHELANGELO, LEONARDO DA VINCI, RAPHAEL: THE GIANTS OF THE RENAISSANCE.  It was spectacular.  Full color, repeated on all of the walls surrounding you.  Magnifique!!

My family is sitting in the far corner to give you a perspective of the expansive walls



And the visual comes alive on these walls......





Looking at the people in this photo gives you an idea of the size of the projected paintings and the length of the hallways.





Notice at the bottom of this photo, the ornate and colorful marble floors.



All of the walls have a painting projected onto it.  Seating is available for moments of concentration, reflection or rest. As you can see, there are several levels from which to view the paintings.



















After the show we explored more of the complex, some of which is outdoors. Voluminous!!







I wasn't very excited to learn that this year they will be featuring the works of MARC CHAGALL, because he isn't one of my favorites (IMPRESSIONISTS top my list). CHAGALL was a POST-IMPRESSIONIST artist and has been described as an EXPRESSIONIST (he paints what he feels) and most notably as a MODERNIST, incorporating several art movement styles.

After reading "LISETTE'S LIST" recently (thank you for the recommendation SANDRA!!), which explained a bit of CHAGALL'S style, now I can't wait to see his work projected in such a dramatic venue!!

If you get to PROVENCE, FRANCE (which I hope you do!), perhaps you'll be inspired to seek out this wonderful experience.

JOAN



4 comments:

  1. Thank you for this awesome post! What a marvelous place. No wonder you wish to return again and again. ~Carla

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's one of only MANY treasures in Provence. More to come, to whet your appetite Carla!

      Delete
  2. I also enjoy your blog!! This looks amazing and I wish I was going!
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish you were too Anna!! One of these days????
      Ok, Virginia Wine Country, here we come.
      Love,
      One Wine Wench

      Delete