Saturday, September 7, 2019

N.C. WYETH EXHIBIT AT THE BRANDYWINE RIVER MUSEUM

THE LAST OF THE MOHICANS (1919)


Last week, MERRY, JACKIE and I met at "HANK'S PLACE" for an early lunch and then scooted across the street to the BRANDYWINE RIVER MUSEUM OF ART to enjoy the art of N. C. WYETH, on special Exhibit.

Since a child, I was enamored with his ILLUSTRATIONS and my fascination and love for his work has remained strong. So, this Exhibit is one I couldn't miss.

We were greeted by the two paintings below, which are part of a series he called "THE INDIAN IN HIS SOLITUDE".




This next one - STORY OF MINERS STRUGGLING TO SURVIVE IN THE DEEP SNOW - you can literally feel the tension of the miners creeping up this narrow ledge.




"BRONCO BUSTER" (1906) was N. C.'s start into the ADVERTISING business. This painting caught my eye because CREAM OF WHEAT was one of my favorite breakfast cereals as a kid. I still enjoy it from time to time, particularly when I'm needing some "comfort".




MERRY pointed out that N. C. felt that the VIEWER would be more emotionally impacted by standing BEHIND the person being shot.  You really DO feel the IMPACT.  Interesting isn't it?  And I LOVE this frame!




I distinctly remember as a kid, being a bit disturbed by this illustration. The BLIND MAN looked so scared, it frightened me too!




And you probably recognize this iconic painting from TREASURE ISLAND..... 

With the money that WYETH earned from his TREASURE ISLAND series, he was able to purchase land in CHADDS FORD, PA where he built a home and studio. 

My next visit to the museum will include a tour of that home/studio.




This next PAINTING was my FAVORITE in the Exhibit. Something about the ACTION and the man FLEEING from near-death....... 

I particularly liked the HOLE in the HEEL of his SOCK (see close-up) that JACKIE and I both noticed at the same time!  THAT was a good GIGGLE

And JACKIE pointed out that this was an example of how he really captured in his imagination, even the smallest details of the reality of life for the commoner.






In the next two, I could imagine the sound of the quiet CRUNCHING of SNOW as they walked and searched. 




You can literally feel the SILENCE after this KILL - the SNOW on the TREES and blanketing the earth, added to that SILENT feeling for me........ 




WHAT an IMAGINATION N. C. WYETH had! He read the story, visualized the action and created these ILLUSTRATIONS right out of his head. I never had the ability to do this in any of my art classes and always MARVELED at those who could.






In the early 1900's when WYETH created these previous paintings, IMPRESSIONISM had already begun to take hold in PARIS

In the next 2 paintings, if you look closely, you'll see that even N. C. utilized Impressionism in some of his work. VERY different from what he was doing early on.






WYETH'S IMPRESSIONISTIC painting of GENERAL LAFAYETTE'S HEADQUARTERS - BUTTONWOOD FARM in PA (1920)

I stared at this one for quite a while - captivating, calming and simply beautiful.




Two of his SELF-PORTRAITS 15 years apart - 

The second one shows N. C. WYETH in a top hat and cape - he LOVED to dress in COSTUME for family gatherings and for pranks. He also incorporated a fractured-looking background - a more modern technique he observed in contemporary Russian art.  


 (1909 - 1912)

(1927)


As he struggled to be accepted as and referred to as a "FINE ARTIST", rather than just an ILLUSTRATOR (which has been argued to be less revered), N. C. showed his skill in many different styles.
















I actually PREFER his early ILLUSTRATIONS. To me, they are truly MAGICAL at FEEDING one's IMAGINATION!!








The N. C. WYETH Exhibit at the BRANDYWINE runs through SEPTEMBER 15th, so you still have a little time if you find yourself available to visit.......


JOAN



No comments:

Post a Comment