Tuesday, September 10, 2019

TRAVEL TIPS FOR PACKING LIGHTLY



When I travel now, I pack as lightly as I can, because HEAVY LUGGAGE and I are no longer compatible. I've gotten pretty good at it and for up to a 2-WEEK TRIP I take only a SPINNER CARRY-ON and a SPINNER TOTE (packed with all NECESSITIES and my handbag, which can fit under the seat if necessary). 

It was suggested that I share a couple of my PACKING TIPS with you.


1.  DAILY MEDICATIONS/SUPPLEMENTS

I used to take my weekly plastic container, but if you travel for 2 weeks you need 2 of them and if it's 15 days, what do you do? Those plastic containers are bulky and no longer the best way to package them. 




At CVS you can purchase a package of 50 DISPOSABLE PILL POUCHES for $4.29.  If you diligently save them as you empty them during your trip, you can get 2-3 trips out of each bag.




After laying out all of my meds/supplements for the number of days I need (PLUS 4-5 extra days in case of flight delays or damage to a dose) I fill each little bag with one DAILY DOSE








It doesn't hurt to package up some chewable VITAMIN C too, in case you end up with a cold from those NASTY airplane germs........




I've gotten into the habit of placing my PILL PACKETS in my spinner TOTE, in the zippered section inside the front flap, so for every trip, they are in the same place. And the TOTE always comes with me on the plane. They are easy to access and EVERY MORNING I simply pull one out and put it in my purse to take with breakfast. 

Oh, and BTW, I always keep one extra packet in my purse, in case I'm in a rush in the morning and forget to grab one.




2.  MAKING CLOTHING DECISIONS -

This is the TOUGHEST SKILL to MASTER. I used to pack WAY TOO MUCH - thinking I needed "choices". But now that I'm committed to LIGHTWEIGHT traveling, I've had to GET ORGANIZED

FIRST, I gather all of the clothing (on hangers) that I WANT to take. Then I thoughtfully and diligently DELETE, DELETE, DELETE what I don't NEED. If it's 14 DAYS, I pack 14 TOPS and 7 BOTTOMS and that's ALL!

In the photo below, the hanging clothes on the LEFT are what I ELIMINATED and on the RIGHT are what I'm going to pack.  

Notice that the ones I'm going to pack are all on SKINNY HANGERS with FOAM.  This is IMPORTANT.




For instance, this trip is 16 DAYS - in WARM WEATHER. 2 DAYS will be travel/flight days. So, it's actually only 14 DAYS to pack for. The weather will be warm enough for SHORTS/CAPRIS, SLEEVELESS, and SHORT-SLEEVES, but evenings should be cooler.

I'll WEAR one outfit on the plane (with my "go-with-everything" zippered hoodie and bulkiest SHOES) and will continue to wear it throughout DAY 1 (even after an overnight flight). So, make sure it's a comfy one! Plus that's one less day you have to pack for.......




Travel is so much more casual these days - you don't have to dress up for dinner - so, I plan for wearing 1 OUTFIT for ONE WHOLE DAY and I no longer change for DINNER (unless on a cruise ship). This makes planning so much easier!

BOTTOMS -
I'm packing 4 pairs of long SHORTS, 2 pairs of CAPRIS, and 1 pair of PANTS. That's 7 BOTTOMS. I plan to wear each of them 2 times.  

TOPS -
14 DAYS = 14 TOPS ON HANGERS (yes, on hangers!!), which are hanging inside of PLASTIC BAGS (ones you get at the DRYCLEANER), which helps to minimize WRINKLES. I put about 4-5 TOPS in each plastic bag and I pack the 2 TOPS TOGETHER that I've planned for each BOTTOM.

Oh, and I always pack 1 BLACK SWEATER, which is hanging over one of the TOPS,  and 1 lightweight, "go-with-everything", ZIPPERED HOODIE (or JACKET), which I mentioned I'll wear on the plane.




3.  PACKING YOUR CARRY-ON - 

BOTTOMSROLL each one (7 bottoms and 1 bathing suit shown here) and tuck tightly together (in one layer) in the bottom of the deeper side of the CARRY-ON.




MISC ITEMS - 
On the other side of the CARRY-ON pack UNDIESPJ's and SHOES.

Remember to wear your BULKIEST pair of shoes on the plane and pack only 2-3 OTHER PAIRS (maximum).

I bought the most DELIGHTFULCOLORFUL, LIGHTWEIGHT, SHOE BAGS on AMAZON! Silly, but they make me HAPPY to look at them.......






HANGERED TOPS - 3 STEPS - lay flat, fold back in half, fold back the top of the hanger and repeat with the next grouping, starting from the opposite direction..... You are carefully FOLDING the HANGERED TOPS into the CARRY-ON over the rolled bottoms.










When you arrive, just unfold the hangers and hang them up. VOILA! Most of your unpacking is done! It's organized and so easy to choose your daily outfit and it takes only moments to re-pack too!!

That's it for the CARRY-ON - it holds ALL CLOTHES.


4. PACKING THE TOTE (NECESSITIES) - 

In addition to MEDICATIONS/SUPPLEMENTS, I pack......
  • An EXTRA PAIR of PRESCRIPTION READING GLASSES
  • WASHCLOTH
  • PACKAGED SNACK (in case the plane is delayed on the runway)
  • CHARGING CORDS (cell phone, iPad)
  • USB POWER STRIP (European Plug from AMAZON)
  • GPS
  • INTERNATIONAL DRIVER'S LICENSE
  • LIQUIDS in a Quart Baggie
  • TOILETRIES
  • JEWELRY BAG
  • BOOK
  • TRAVEL NOTES/DOCUMENTS
  • HANDBAG/PURSE 
    • Since you can take only 2 items on the plane, this MUST fit into your TOTE!
    • PASSPORT and BOARDING PASS are both in my HANDBAG!

So, there you have it. Hopefully, you've picked up AT LEAST ONE IDEA that you can use the next time that you pack LIGHTLY for a 2-WEEK TRIP!!


BON VOYAGE!!

JOAN



No comments:

Post a Comment