Sunday, March 22, 2020

QUARANTINE DURING RETIREMENT - SETTING SMALL GOALS



YES, YES, I've TOTALLY been enjoying my retirement during the last couple of years, but a QUARANTINE at home was never even considered in my little mind........

I realize that for good mental health, it's important to stay BUSY, ENERGIZED, FOCUSED and ENJOYING MYSELF, while alone at home. A week ago I decided to ADD ONE SIMPLE THING EACH DAY to my normal routine of spending time on the computer, reading, cooking, planning trips and playing with CLOVER!!!.  

It's true that not much has changed in my life EXCEPT all of the time I spend away from home. I'm used to enjoying a number of LUNCHES/DINNERS OUT with friends, TIME every week at a BOOK CLUB, and grocery and mindless SHOPPING, TRAVELING (!!!), etc.  

After my last trip to the GROCERY STORE last week, with this extra time in the house, I decided I would set some DAILY GOALS for myself. Just think how good I'll feel once all are completed!!

I'm fortunate enough to have wonderful gals clean my house every other week. I DO NOT LIKE to clean!! Although I DO LIKE a clean house..... 

So........

One day this week I changed/washed the sheets and bleached the duvet cover.  

One day I cleaned the toilets (ugh), counters and sinks.

One day I vacuumed.  CLOVER!!! sheds a LOT of HAIR!! 

Today I did LAUNDRY (sort of a Sunday habit). 
And I did some PAPERWORK (does THAT ever end?).

Two days this week, when it was dry outside, I brought firewood into the garage to dry out, so I can enjoy a few more FIRES in the FIREPLACE during this chilly spell.




Now that the basic cleaning is done, I decided I should create a few "PROJECTS" for myself. I'm starting with cleaning out and wiping down some CABINETS.  Just ONE/DAY - since this quarantine thing might last a bit..... PLUS I still need time to READ, play on FACEBOOK, watch MOVIES/SERIES, entertain CLOVER!!! and CHAT on the phone, right?!

Here's my PROJECT list so far.......
  • Under-sink cabinets in the bathroom (2)
  • Medication cabinet in the kitchen (that top-shelf probably has expired ones)
  • Catch-all cabinet in the kitchen (oh my!)
  • Kitchen desk drawers (the papers - oh, the papers I hope I can PURGE!!)
  • Attend to that pile of FILING on the cabinet in my studio/office
  • Garage cabinets/drawers - now THAT is a PROJECT!! I'll need a warmer day for that.
  • Plant some indoor herbs (a birthday gift from my sister!)

Well, THAT should get me started and then I can look around and add to the LIST, right?

What are you doing to CREATIVELY PASS THE TIME AT HOME??


WASH YOUR HANDS!!!

JOAN





4 comments:

  1. I love this, Joan! I'm trying to do the same thing, but minus Clover!😊

    ReplyDelete
  2. I spend too much time on the computer. Then I start on genealogy, & it's neverending - I could be at it 24 hrs straight, only break when Derry wants out. But have to finish what I started, then it leads to new people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get it Libby! I have wanted to do more genealogy but I know it will suck me in and I'll never get out..... although I would LOVE to have the information! Sigh......
      Joan

      Delete