Sunday, September 20, 2015

AFTER MY EYE SURGERY

Well, THAT'S something I hope I don't have to do again.........  

THREE DAYS FACE-DOWN.  I was able to rent a chair that looks much like a massage chair, which came with a shelf and mirror to reflect the TV so that I could watch it with my face down. Naturally I had to put it together, but it was quite easy.








The same head piece was provided for the bed.  THAT was more tough to get used to, particularly because the right cheek pillow wasn't glued on properly and kept slipping off so I'd wake with my cheek on the metal bar.  

BUT, the GOOD NEWS is, the gas bubble they injected into my eye is almost gone. Just another day or two and then 3-4 weeks of additional healing and I'll be back to true normal. No more wavy lines and faces - like in the FUN HOUSE MIRRORS - it was kinda cool and kinda creepy actually. But I'm glad to say good riddance.




The reason I had to lay face down was because the bubble floats "up" and when I was face down, the bubble would float "up" to the back of my eye and keep the "repaired macular hole" (in front of the retina) flat. A miracle really. WHO was the first doctor to think this up? And WHO was the first patient? AMAZING.

It was a happy day when my neighbors, MONICA and LEX packed up the equipment to send it back!!





This past Wednesday, one week after the surgery, I was given the go-ahead to resume normal activities - even DRIVE - even drink WINE. WHOOHOO!! It took me a few extra days, but yesterday I intermittently read a PEOPLE magazine and then ventured out in the car - got a pedicure (only to find out that the owner sold the place and it was her last day - I don't care for the pedicure I received from the new owner, so the hunt is on for a new place - another CLEAN place!!). I then drove to the grocery store, but as I looked down into the refrigerator bins, the gas bubble was right in the center of my vision and it made me a bit woozy. Needless to say, it was a short visit.

Typing on the computer must still be short-lived too - floaters, gas bubble and glasses are still learning to "get along" simultaneously. I HAVE caught up on Seasons 3 and 4 of HOMELAND and am looking forward to Season 5 starting October 4th.  A few movies, and the Presidential Candidate Debate kept me satisfied in front of the TV - an activity I can do without any problem.

Before you feel TOO SORRY for me, take a look at the "DAY BEFORE SURGERY DECADENCE" that I enjoyed - a NORDSTROM CHOCOLATE CUPCAKE!! It was truly as good as it looks!




A shout out of THANKS to all of my FAMILY/FRIENDS/NEIGHBORS/BLOG FOLLOWERS who have wished me well and taken care of me. HOW could I have done it without each of you?! It was much appreciated and brightened my days!! You have no idea.

I have much to say about my trip to FRANCE and ITALY with the kids the week prior to surgery....... that's coming up.........

JOAN 



30 comments:

  1. So glad you're coming along. I wondered about wooziness, especially when you mentioned fun house mirrors. Ugh! Hope that ends promptly! BTW, you're killing me with that cupcake!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Every day there is more and more improvement Marjie. Cupcake was OUTSTANDING!! xo

      Delete
  2. You did a great job Joan. A real trooper in a very hard situation. So happy that you are on the mend.
    XO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ellen. I couldn't have done it without your help!!! Love you. xoxo

      Delete
  3. Gosh I bet you're glad that's all over! Isn't it terrible when health problems arise. You don't know how much you appreciate the little things in life until they are taken away (luckily temporarily). So pleased to hear that you're on the mend. Can't wait to hear about your trip. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Deb!! I continue to improve daily and am so thankful to have my sight. Trip details will be up shortly. Thanks for your interest! xo

      Delete
  4. This was quite a piece and very interesting for that matter. I had no idea there existed such a seat let alone to help with eye surgery. Though it is never easy to recover from any form of sickness, I believe your recovery is ferrying on well even as we hope for better technology to come through. This chair was really an eye opener for me.

    Lucius Calhoun @ Bolton Vision Centre

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The chair saved me, although I nicknamed it The Torture Chair. And the contraption for bedtime was great too. The surgery center recommended it to me. The rental for all of the equipment was $189. My eye recovery has been wonderful, thank you. And I love your play on words - "eye opener".......

      Delete
  5. Recovery for eye surgery can really be a pain. The chair was a great buy,it definitely is a lot more comfortable than some of the alternative methods. I think keeping yourself entertained is the most important part of getting through the days. Also, getting someone to massage your neck and shoulders would definitely make things more comfortable during the recovery process.

    Jamaal @ Eye Clinic London

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for "feeling my pain". You're right, that you must keep yourself entertained - the folded mirror to watch TV was a lifesaver. Also having friends stay over and stop in for visits made the time go by faster. I didn't have the neck and shoulder massages, but what a GREAT suggestion. Appreciate your empathy. Joan

      Delete
  6. I'm energetic I discovered this blog! Every now and then, understudies need to subjective the keys of beneficial brilliant articles making. Your top notch data about this awe-inspiring post can change into a fitting purpose for such people. flabbergasting one   Contact us

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for posting this info. I just want to let you know that I just check out your site and I find it very interesting and informative. I can't wait to read lots of your posts. www.surgeongate.org/michigan-plastic-surgery/michigan-lasik-eye-surgery/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your positive feedback. Feel free to share this post with patients if you feel it would be helpful. It was quite an ordeal - both emotionally and physically. It's been 3.5 years. My cataract didn't have to be removed until 2.5 yrs after the Macular Hole repair. And I can see!! That's the miracle.
      All the best,
      Joan

      Delete
  8. This is very interesting content! I have thoroughly enjoyed reading your points and have come to the conclusion that you are right about many of them. You are great. best hair replacement options

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rodney. I'm glad you found my experience helpful to you.
      Joan

      Delete
  9. Its a great pleasure reading your post.Its full of information I am looking for and I love to post a comment that "The content of your post is awesome" Great work. Acne Treatment Okemos

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is really a nice and informative, containing all information and also has a great impact on the new technology. Thanks for sharing it, eyelid surgery michigan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank YOU for reading about my eye surgery experience on my Blog and for taking the time to comment.
      Joan

      Delete
  11. I like this post,And I guess that they having fun to read this post,they shall take a good site to make a information,thanks for sharing it to me. yaldoeyecenter.com/lasik-grand-rapids-mi/

    ReplyDelete
  12. Excellent information on your blog, thank you for taking the time to share with us. Amazing insight you have on this, it's nice to find a website that details so much information about different artists. yaldoeyecenter.com/toledo-lasik/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comments. Just my own experience that took determination, a positive attitude and patience. All the best!
      Joan

      Delete
  13. This is a nice website. I am very happy to visit your website.I will try to tell everybody to visit your website.Thanks net worth

    ReplyDelete
  14. A debt of gratitude is in order for posting this information. I simply need to tell you that I simply look at your site and I discover it exceptionally fascinating and educational. I can hardly wait to peruse bunches of your posts. surgery

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy to know that the information that I shared was of interest to you. Best of luck,
      Joan

      Delete
  15. Thanks for a very interesting blog. What else may I get that kind of info written in such a perfect approach? I’ve a undertaking that I am simply now operating on, and I have been at the look out for such info. Eye Injections

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Hasnain. Happy that this personal experience was helpful to you. Best of luck in your endeavors.
      Joan

      Delete