Thursday, September 25, 2014

"DOWN THE SHORE" AGAIN, but this time "THE JERSEY SHORE"

My high school Bestie, Dorri moved to Florida last year after retiring from her teaching career. She loves the heat, heat, heat (it's NOT for me.......). This past weekend she came "home" to Pennsylvania for a Reunion with her childhood Summer Camp friends and to visit with her 2 children in Philadelphia. 

Lucky for me she had a free afternoon for lunch. I picked her up at her son's restaurant (ZAVINO) in Philadelphia and we drove an hour to Ocean City, New Jersey for a walk on the BOARDWALK and lunch at one of her favorite spots.





Unfortunately, lunch was not as she had remembered (and was anxiously anticipating).
I hate when that happens, don't you?  But we made the best of it with lots of laughs.

Gotta love the SALES at the end of the season!!


Anyone who's been to the East Coast shoreline is familiar with SALT WATER TAFFY, but do my Aussie friends know about it?  Yummy, pully, sweet, soft, chewy things....... about 3" long, wrapped in paper and offered in every possible flavor you can imagine. I enjoyed one Vanilla and one Salted Caramel. What willpower I had (that day)!




Yes, that machine is "Pulling Taffy".

Of course you can find almost any kind of delicious junk food on the Boardwalk - 
French fries, funnel cake, KOHR BROS FROZEN CUSTARD (since 1917) and MANCO-MANCO PIZZA (since 1956), which boasts super LONG waiting lines during the summer season.




Naturally children (and adults) need ENTERTAINMENT - abundant and colorful.




Something new on the Boardwalk (to us) - COIN OPERATED BINOCULARS.


PLENTY of BICYCLES......... parked AND being ridden.



How cute is "Daddy's Little Girl" here - stylin' in her pink sunglasses!

It couldn't have been a more BEAUTIFUL, PICTURE-PERFECT DAY - sunny, blue skies, temperatures in the 70's with a nice breeze and NO CROWDS!!  Gotta love the shore in September.



It's always a GREAT DAY when you can spend it with a GREAT FRIEND, right?!!

Thanks Dorri.

xoxo
Joan




10 comments:

  1. Joan, can't believe you didn't buy a box of salt water taffy for your nieces.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not entirely sure I want to know what taffy is!!!!!! Beautiful photos - love the last one especially. Thank you for sharing your part of the world with us - quite different from Sydney Australia! Felicity x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah Felicity, so you have confirmed that Salt Water Taffy is not a known commodity in Oz. I wasn't sure. A really well loved candy in these parts. I Googled the ingredients - "Although taffy recipes vary from one candymaker to another, the most common ingredients in taffy are sugar, corn syrup, cornstarch, water, butter, salt, food coloring and flavorings. You may have noticed that the list of ingredients includes both salt and water."

      I think of you, your Mom and my new BWP friends whenever I post something. What an inspiration you all are to me. Thanks for staying with me here...... xo

      Delete
  3. Love your photos Joan, they look straight out of a movie. I have no idea what salt water taffy tastes like, but it looks good! lisa from Australia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lisa, Glad you enjoyed the photos. Looking back, I may have gotten carried away and posted too many - who knows when a reader sees too much, right? All taken with my cell phone. It was such a beautiful day, it was easy to get a good pic. Fun to introduce you Aussie girls to Salt Water Taffy - hopefully one day you'll try and it think back to me with a smile. Joan

      Delete
  4. I love these photos Joan! They really make me want to visit. Maybe try some of that salt water taffy everyone talks about. Looks like it was a great day x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen. Bright sunshine, blue sky and a lack of crowds (low season) makes it easy to take a good pic. LOTS to see on the East Coast...... Glad you had the time to join me for a bit!

      Delete
  5. What beautiful photos. Thanks for sharing this part of the world with us here in Australia. Makes me want to visit. What a stunningly perfect looking boardwalk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for joining me for this visit to the shore. The East Coast has so much to see with the great cities of NY, Washington, Philadelphia and Boston. Boardwalks at the shore - do you have them in Australia? Not every beach town here has them, but the ones that do are a draw for visitors. Cheers!

      Delete