Thursday, May 14, 2015

BOARDING SCHOOL IN 1968

It was a shock to be sent away from home at 16 years old, particularly when my destination was a PRIVATE BOARDING SCHOOL FOR GIRLS. All I wanted to do at that time in my short life was be with BOYS!!

The first day there, I walked into the BATHROOM and there were 2 girls passionately kissing. "Not that there's anything wrong with that" of course, but I didn't know that Girls did that!  Ok, I had some things to learn and things to get used to, because I was going to be there for a full school year.  And do I have some more stories to tell!

Let's begin with the LOVELY town of LITITZ, PENNSYLVANIA.  And I mean LOVELY!!! I was in LITITZ yesterday to visit my BESTIES, LINDA and ANDY SMITH (professional watercolor artist), so I took a few photos to share with you.  

I actually fell in love with the town of LITITZ when I got married at age 23 in 1975.  JACK found us a 2-bedroom townhouse there to rent. Here is a photo - ours was this corner unit - still there 40 years later!!



While married and living there, I met BESTIE, JILL RODRICK at a WELCOME WAGON meeting (ever heard of that??) and we hit it off immediately. Our husbands did too, which made it even more fun. Jill and Gary lived in an apartment just a few blocks away. 




Thankfully, I still see them often, although they moved to OHIO not too many years after we first met. In fact it was just a few years ago that we met in LITITZ for the day.  We had a ball reminiscing.  An old friend of theirs joined us for dinner, who I subsequently fixed up with another BESTIE!!  Yes, they too are still happily together!


In 1968, when we were practicing field hockey every afternoon, we could smell the chocolate from the famous WILBUR CHOCOLATE FACTORY, which is still operating today. YUM!! My addiction to chocolate remains strong........




Boarding school girls were allowed to leave school and walk into the town of LITITZ only ONCE A WEEK and we had to "SIGN OUT" when leaving campus.  It took me about a minute to figure out that if I wanted to go into town (to smoke a cigarette or flirt with BOYS), I simply didn't "sign out". I walked off campus and came back before our required time.  This happened MORE THAN ONCE a week of course.






Ok, back to my visit with LINDA and ANDY SMITH yesterday.  Here is their home/studio.












LINDA and I took a walk into town to enjoy lunch at a great little restaurant called "TOMATO PIE CAFE". Always great food there. We actually tried something different yesterday, but didn't pass up starting with our cup of their homemade "TOMATO BISQUE SOUP".  








So, you're wondering what's in the bag? On the way to lunch we stopped in a little shop, MinD's BOUTIQUE, owned by MINDY DONECKER BEATTY, a good client/friend of LINDA and ANDY'S. I couldn't resist making a purchase - their clothing is so fun and trendy........




And as LINDA said, "Only in a small town will you see a sign on the door like this one!!" LOVE IT.




After lunch we wandered a little more through town.

I will continue tomorrow with photos of the variety of very cute shops.  If you've never been to LITITZ, it's a GREAT strolling town and my photos will surely tempt you to visit.......


JOAN



11 comments:

  1. You make me want to wander up to Wilbur chocolate, Joan! :-) Dangerous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, a trip to Wilbur Chocolate could be very dangerous for you John....... Linda and I splurged for dessert and split a piece of Red Velvet Cake - thus OUR chocolate for the day. YUMMO!

      Delete
    2. That sounds delicious! The Tomato Pie Café is great. Have a good Friday!

      Delete
  2. Haha! I too went to boarding school and found my ways around the rules! I enjoyed seeing a little slice of this gorgeous town Joan. Thanks for sharing!
    How about a shot of the cute outfit you bought? I'm so curious!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Rachel, you Devil you!! LOL I bet you too have stories to tell.
      I'll have to share that top with you.... it's so soft and comfy. Good idea.

      Delete
  3. My school was both day & boarding; but I really didn't mix with the boarders. I didn't spend too much time with the day students either. I always felt like an outcast but I do go back for reunions every 5 years to catch up and occasionally see some of them during off years. Never ran into the "bathroom" scenario, but knew we had several teacher who might have been. We were very nasty & played tricks on one teacher all the time. Now I look back and wonder why. One bad habit I acquired while there was smoking - I was 16. Finally stopped in 2000 at 59.

    I've been to Lititz, but more on a drive through. Should go back to discover all those hidden delights.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Isn't it something how "cruel" teenagers can be, not only to each other, but to their teachers?

    Glad you have been able to keep in touch with your school mates via Reunions. Interesting how people change after high school, isn't it?

    Sorry you picked up the smoking habit. I stopped at age 24 thankfully.

    Many delights in Lititz! Make it a day trip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually I think I changed more than my classmates - they were sooo main line & I wasn't, still am not. They all went to college & were part of the 1960s group of women who went on to do such wonderful things. But not going to college (except some courses @ Villanova) was the school of hard nocks. I led a very "fast" life in my 20s finally settling down in my 30s during which I became very involved in my township and that has not stopped. Retirement has been great; but I never seem to do a lot - guess that's why I "push" to see friends all the time.

      Delete
    2. Libby, you're quite the gal with quite the history. Who knew?? Some of us are more "independent" than others and need to find our way, right? You've done well. xo

      Delete