Sunday, July 5, 2015

MY WEEK ALONE WITH AN 11-YEAR-OLD

Well, if I can survive 8 HOURS ALONE WITH A 4-YEAR-OLD, wouldn't you peg me for A WEEK ALONE WITH AN 11-YEAR-OLD?

My grand-niece, GRACE spent this week with me while she attended the UPPER MAIN LINE YMCA day camp. She did the same thing last year when half of her day was spent at "COOKING CAMP" there. She loves to cook. So when the cooking session was already filled by the time she signed up this year, we decided that she would just have to cook HERE at the end of each day.




The first night she made LEMON-BUTTER-DILL SALMON, BROCCOLI and RICE - one of our favorite meals that I taught her last summer. Another night she made a CASSEROLE that my Mom used to make for us kids - a simple one that every kid likes, no matter how fussy. Last night we made a quick version of homemade CHICKEN NOODLE SOUP.




We have developed an easy, daily routine. Each morning, while I cook breakfast (she likes scrambled eggs with sausage one day, cereal the next, etc) GRACE packs a very healthy lunch for herself.  We made up a grocery list during our family weekend in W Virginia and I had all of her "LITTLE HEART'S DESIRES" when she got here. She packs a turkey or bologna sandwich, fruit, yogurt, vegetables with Ranch Dressing Dip, Sun Chips (or Chex Mix), Gatorade and a few treats from my chocolate stash....... she swears that she shares these chocolate goodies with her friends at camp........

Every evening when we first get home from camp we play a "VERY SPIRITED" round of "SPIT" - a card game that she taught me this week. We are both competitive and have had many "CLOSE WINS" with lots of SCREAMS and GIGGLES. I might also add that she's a VERY SAVVY card player!




Her little toes were painted for her SWIM MEET at PENN STATE last week - her AUNT JANE'S alma mater.  ADORABLE!!




After our dinner we usually played another round of cards and then watched a bit of TV. I introduced her to 2 new shows (I guess you all know that I LOVE SOME REALITY TV) - KATE PLUS 8 and THE LITTLE COUPLE.  She loved them both (as do I).

Before going to bed, GRACE prepared the dough to rise overnight for a loaf of bread she is going to bake the here the next day.






And overnight - VOILA!! 










A PERFECT LOAF OF BREAD!!!  GREAT JOB, GRACE!!!


I taught GRACE a simple game of SOLITAIRE that she can play while riding in the car. She enjoyed it on our ride to her last day of camp.




This traditional "DAY CAMP" visit won't happen for too many more years, but I just LOVE the private time that I am able to spend with GRACE now. I DO feel confident that there are still some great memories to create in our days, months and years ahead.......


AUNT JOAN

8 comments:

  1. You're creating great memories(and a great cook) which will last a lifetime. Both girls will benefit from their special one on one time with you. You are all very lucky to have each other.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Family is so important and I am VERY lucky to have such a close relationship with each. Am enjoying my other grandniece here this week for camp!

      Delete
  2. Very talented and very adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like so much Auntie/Niece fun! Take her to Milky Way for ice cream! ~ Carla

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, a visit to Milky Way for ice cream is always a request Carla!!

      Delete
  4. I know I am generations too old, but... can I be your grand-niece too? What an awesome week, and what a lucky girl! Looks like so much fun.
    Lemon Butter Dill Salmon... oh! I would love this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure Rachel. LOL I have her sister here this week and we are making the salmon tonight together. She loves it too. Instead of baking bread though, she wants to make the family recipe coffee cake. We'll make that on Thursday night so I can send it home with her on Friday. Too dangerous to keep it around here. hahaha

      Delete