Friday, January 30, 2015

A TREAT OUTSIDE OF LJUBLJANA, SLOVENIA

FINALLY - some photos of my most recent trip - to the ADRIATIC region!!

SANDRA, SUE ANN and I signed up for a 4-day pre-trip extension in the fabulous, small city of LJUBLJANA, SLOVENIA.  I really loved it there.

One of the more memorable moments for me was visiting PREDJAMA CASTLE built in the Middle Ages (12th Century) into the side of a mountain, in front of a cave.  PREDJAMA literally means "in front of the cave"

Thankfully our group was small, because the driveway was too narrow for the bus.  We took turns in small cars that drove us down the lane.

It was a phenomenal structure built into the mountain for protection during the unsettled Middle Ages. The cave offered a secret exit to freedom. We were fortunate enough to go inside, walk through the rooms, climb the stairs to different levels and even see the huge cave inside the mountain where they could be completely protected from intruders. 

"Baby, it was COLD inside", which really stimulated one's imagination about what it would be like to actually LIVE there.










This shows the CASTLE starting in the 12th Century, then 13th, 14th and 15th Centuries with final  renovations (an extension to the front) from 1570 - 1585, bringing it to its present size.




A walk through the moated entryway.......  Don't you love with the boot scraper?






Once inside, most of the rooms were "decorated" with mannequins and furniture to give you an idea of how it might have looked during medieval days.  
















SANDRA and SUE ANN found the wine cellar (but of course!!).




The torture room. Goodness!! 

The story of the "wooden horse" in the second photo - men were strapped onto it and their feet were weighed down with the rocks underneath - for LONG periods of time. And their view? The man hanging by his hands.  Although I'm not a man, I can imagine what pain that horse could cause. OUCH!!  




 

 These weapons looked pretty nasty to me!!






But the views of the countryside from the windows were serene and spectacular to this "Country Girl at Heart".








 Leaving the CASTLE........ what a beautiful landscape!!




A great view of the JOUSTING area, as I took a final look back at the CASTLE.




My next Blog Post will include a video I took while looking out one of the open-air windows. And if you'll listen closely, you'll hear the light chime of a bell, twice.


Joan




6 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed this. I wish I had gotten a good photo of the cave, which was HUGE and such a surprise behind the building. I have more great photos of a variety of places to share...... stay tuned!!

      Delete
  2. What a beautiful place to visit, the views out the windows were gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're going to like the short video that I'll post this week looking out the window, Lila...... xo

      Delete