Wednesday, April 15, 2015

GOOD THINGS I LEARNED FROM READING ABOUT SOCIOPATHS

I just finished my book - "THE SOCIOPATH NEXT DOOR: THE RUTHLESS VERSUS THE REST OF US" by MARTHA STOUT, Ph.D

Are you like me that when you read a description of a psychological or medical disorder, you might begin to recognize it as referring to you? And oh my goodness, the worry begins. Ok, I truly don't think I'm sociopathic, because I do feel guilt, I genuinely care about people and I do have the capacity to "love", but some of her examples had me on the brink of worry....... (giggle)

I'd like to share 3 short paragraphs from the end of her book that will hopefully get you thinking about the good life that you and I live, full of CONSCIENCE. Yes, of course, we all have bad thoughts about others from time to time.... don't be too terribly hard on yourself, UNLESS........ :)


The author states:
     In a book that is a collaboration between psychologist Daniel Goleman and His Holiness the Dalai Lama, entitled Destructive Emotions: A Scientific Dialogue with the Dalai Lama, Coleman writes, "The very act of concern for others' well-being, it seems, creates a greater state of well-being within oneself."  


She goes on to say:
     As a psychologist, I am particularly taken with the Dalai Lama's description of those whom I might refer to as sociopaths, or as people devoid of an intervening sense of obligation based in connectedness to others. He refers to such individuals as "people who don't have well-developed human lives."


In closing I'll share this wonderful story she included that isn't new to me, but perhaps it is to you. In any case, it's worth reading again, and again, and again........

     A wise woman who was traveling in the  mountains found a precious stone in a stream. The next day she met another traveler who was hungry, and the wise woman opened her bag to share her food. The hungry traveler saw the precious stone and asked the woman to give it to him. She did so without hesitation.

     The traveler left, rejoicing in his good fortune.  He knew the stone was worth enough to give him security for a lifetime.  But a few days later he came back to return the stone to the wise woman.

     "I've been thinking," he said. "I know how valuable the stone is, but I give it back in the hope that you can give me something even more precious. Give me what you have within you that enabled you to give me the stone."


JOAN





2 comments:

  1. I love the stone story. Oh, I recently read Girl On A Train. It was a great read. Zoe xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Zoe. I JUST finished THE GIRL ON THE TRAIN yesterday. What a thriller! On to "THE STORIED LIFE OF A. J. FIKRY and then THE NIGHTINGALE, both for Book Clubs. What are you reading?

      Delete