Monday, February 1, 2016

DONALD TRUMP (a personal encounter/memory)





A little "background" before "the story"........

In 1980 I joined my father's business, which provided advice to owners of privately-held businesses. Having been a HIGH SCHOOL ART TEACHER for 4 years, I didn't know ANYTHING about finance or business (I was truly surprised to get the job - so, THANK YOU DAD!!), but I DID have a MASTERS in COUNSELING, which gave me listening skills.

In 1987 I was asked to join management - training new sales guys (yes, "guys", since it was a rarity to find a female in this business back then). My background in teaching made it a natural transition from my 7 years in sales.

Also in 1987 DONALD TRUMP published his book, "TRUMP - THE ART OF THE DEAL" - written by and about a very successful BUSINESS OWNER - our client profile. I read it with complete enthusiasm and shared it with "my guys" to help give them inspiration, a sense of confidence and drive. Ours was a "self-made-man" kind of business, and you needed mentors and BIG aspirations in order to succeed.

I was so impressed by DONALD and his book that I got up before the crack of dawn to drive to Atlantic City by myself for his book-signing - to stand in line for an hour or so, to have him sign my book and shake my hand. He looked me straight in the eyes. Yes, I was a bit (!!) STARSTRUCK and must admit that I've felt that way ever since the handshake and eye contact.

He dedicated the book to his parents. I liked that.  

The inside jacket cover starts with his quote, "I like thinking big. I always have. To me it's very simple: if you're going to be thinking anyway, you might as well think big."  I liked that too. It fit right into the attitude I wanted "my guys" to have.

The opening paragraph of the book says: "I don't do it for the money.  I've got enough, much more than I'll ever need. I do it to do it. Deals are my my art form. Other people paint beautifully on canvas or write wonderful poetry. I like making deals, preferably big deals. That's how I get my kicks."

And if you want to know how I got MY kicks, after I shook his hand, I handed him my business card and said that I would love to have the time to share some thoughts about business with him. No, he never called. But I called him! No, he didn't take the call, nor did he return it.  Ok, so I tried!!

With DONALD TRUMP in the news daily, running for President, I can't help but reflect on those days back in 1987.

JOAN





2 comments: