Thursday, February 25, 2016

GOING THROUGH SOME PAPERS

There's a PILE of papers that I've been meaning to go through one last time before I toss them. Papers from my father's files. He died 16 years ago and I have yet to throw them away. It's time.

I started a career working for my father as a salesperson in 1980 and just retired last year. Dad had a way with words and was an enthusiastic, encouraging and positive Manager.  Ok, sometimes he could be a bit harsh, but looking back, we each realized that there was often wisdom in his words, despite his "delivery". 

He gave many inspiring speeches thru the years and had a couple of favorite quotes and stories that he repeated. As I was going through his papers, I found TWO "nuggets" that I'd like to share with you. Perhaps you too will be "inspired".

WHAT YOU CAN DO, OR DREAM YOU CAN, BEGIN IT
FOR COURAGE HAS POWER AND MAGIC IN IT.
ONLY ENGAGE, AND THEN THE MIND GROWS HEATED:
BEGIN IT, AND THE TASK IS HALF COMPLETED.

---By Wolfgang Von Geothe via Woody Woodson

Ok, for full disclosure, I looked up this quote to confirm it, and the quote I found reads:
WHATEVER YOU CAN DO, OR DREAM YOU CAN, BEGIN IT
BOLDNESS HAS GENIUS, POWER AND MAGIC IN IT!
BEGIN IT NOW!
AND, there is controversy about whether or not this is truly a Goethe quote. Obviously Woody Woodson is to blame for using and changing the quote, not my dad. Hahaha. 

"MY ROBOT"

I have a little robot,
That goes around with me.
I tell him what I'm thinking, 
I tell him what I see.
I tell my little robot,
All my hopes and fears.
He listens and remembers 
All my joys and tears.
At first my little robot,
Followed my command,
But after years of training, 
He's gotten out of hand.
He doesn't care what's right or wrong
Or what is false or true.
No matter what I try now, 
He tells me what to do.

"You are a slave to your subconscious robot, which houses your all-important self-image."

Dad was big on psychology. I remember him reciting this poem at home when I was in high school, so when I found it in one of his speeches, I was excited to share it. It has a nice "lilt" to it, doesn't it? And the words are soooo true!!  Think about it.........

JOAN





No comments:

Post a Comment