Monday, December 19, 2016

GLENCAIRN CHRISTMAS



Oh, the PITCAIRN family CHRISTMAS TREASURES were wonderful. Most were displayed in "THE GREAT HALL", which is aptly named.




Do you recognize any of these CANDIES?? My friend SUSAN remarked that she remembered eating these "PLANTATION" CHOCOLATE STRAWS, which were chewy and stuck to her teeth. I remember that too.

PLANTATION CANDIES is still in business outside of PHILADELPHIA. I just may have to plan an excursion to see the candy production up close and personal.






I was MOST fascinated by the HAND-BLOWN GLASS ORNAMENTS, which started in a small town in GERMANY.  It took me a few minutes to realize that the glass was blown into the ceramic mold (at the bottom of the photo below). When the mold was opened and the ornament removed, it still had the long glass "straw" at the top.

They first applied a base coat of paint, then HAND-PAINTED each ORNAMENT. Lastly they cut the "straw" part off - thus the sharp glass edge under the silver cap that holds the hook for the ornament to hang on the tree. I remember as a kid, being warned not to cut myself on the rough glass edges if the hook cap came off.  






A CHRISTMAS photo of the PITCAIRNS was displayed behind a small tree decorated with GLASS ORNAMENTS.




Additional TREASURES that caught my eye.......... don't you LOVE this miniature STETSON HAT??








And you can only imagine how spectacularly their home was decorated.








The following 3 photos were taken in the older residence on the property - CAIRNWOOD.









I hope you enjoyed this little TOUR and are completely IN THE CHRISTMAS SPIRIT by now........  Tune in for my next post, in which I'll share photos of the NATIVITY SCENES owned by the PITCAIRNS, most of which were HAND-CARVED in ITALY.

JOAN





No comments:

Post a Comment