Monday, October 6, 2014

I CAN'T STAND CROOKS!!

After some quality time with my sister this weekend, at her urging, I spent the morning adding additional SignIn Security to my GMAIL account, my AOL account (yes I still have an AOL account for "nonsense items"), FACEBOOKiCloud, CHASE VISA, etc etc.  And after watching a piece about increasing Internet Security Scams on 60 MINUTES last night, her advice was immediately reinforced.

It took me some time to log in, add 2-Step Verification for LogIn Security, improve my PASSWORD, log out, log back in again with my new Password for each website AND then to also log in with new Passwords on my iPhone and iPad. But I'm so glad that I did it all.  

Because GUESS WHAT?!!!!

This afternoon my STARBUCKS card was compromised.  My STARBUCKS card?  Are you kidding me? Who would want to compromise a STARBUCKS card?

Here's what happened.  I received a suspicious email from STARBUCKS this afternoon (I don't trust ANY vendor emails any more).  It was an EXACT COPY of a normal STARBUCKS email with all of the correct information on it . Even when hovering my trusty Mouse over the potentially COMPROMISED LINKS in that email, it showed that if I clicked on any, they were going to take me to a STARBUCKS website location. NOPE. Not so fast....... Hackers know how to make it LOOK like it will take you directly to the Vendor's' website, but it would really be directed elsewhere - not so friendly.

The CROOKS created a new Starbucks account in my name using a fake email address (cleverly using my name - j.kistler@aol.com - which is NOT one of my email addresses). Needless to say, Starbucks deleted and put a Starbucks ALERT on that email address in case the CROOKS try to use it again.

After the CROOKS created the account, they rather quickly deleted it, which the Starbucks guy thought was weird. But as I've heard, CROOKS do that just to see if it's an active account, which they confirm and then come back to it later from another angle.

Well, when you think about it, my credit card information is stored in my account, for the convenience of allowing Starbucks to automatically add money to my iPhone app/account when my balance gets too low...... Doesn't everyone enjoy just pulling up to the Drive-thru, taking out your iPhone, opening up the app and letting the cashier scan it?  FAST.  EASY.  Not so secure.........  BUT MINE IS NOW!!!

Oh, and the best part of the story.......... 

The credit card on my account WAS EXPIRED!! 

HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!.  I got a really good laugh at that one.


And you ask me "What did I do with my day today"?!

Joan


8 comments:

  1. Frustrating what we go through because of crooks. I never store a credit card number to replenish Starbucks or similar cards or websites where I shop regularly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My credit card is stored EVERYWHERE...... (okay CROOKS, are you reading this?! - YIKES). Maybe I need to form some new habits.

      Delete
  2. I only have 1 account (EZPass) which has my AMEX number. So I can readily see if there's anything fishy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I listened to Diane Rehm Show on NPR today while driving. They were addressing this topic.


      http://thedianerehmshow.org/shows/2014-10-07/cyber-attacks-growing-challenge-protecting-personal-and-business-data

      Delete
    2. Marjie, thanks for this link. Am listening to it now. Don't you LOVE NPR? I've also friended them on FB and love their posts.

      Delete
  3. I find the cyber safety thing very unsettling, sometimes I must admit I bury my head in the sand a bit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Emily Jane, I agree with you that it's very unsettling and it's a natural reaction to hide from fear. I urge you to do your best to protect yourself tho and attack the cyber world head on, ok?

      Delete