Tuesday, October 14, 2014

THE IMPORTANCE OF SLEEP

I'm a sponge for knowledge and hope that this topic interests you enough that you'll listen to this short, 12-minute "TED TALK" video to learn some technical reasons for getting a good night's sleep. FASCINATING!! In fact, it shares the thought that SLEEP might be one of the solutions for the prevention of Alzheimer's Disease as the brain uses SLEEP TIME to clear itself of the proteins linked to Alzheimer's.  Imagine that!!


  • The brain never rests
  • Sleep refreshes and clears the mind
  • Every cell in the body produces waste and has to get rid of it
    • The body uses the lymphatic system to clear the body of its "waste"
    • However, the lymphatic system does NOT reach the brain
  • The brain uses the cerebral spinal fluid to dump its "waste"
    • This system operates ONLY when the brain is asleep
  • Sleep may be critical for preventing and treating diseases of tomorrow

I love a good night's sleep - and am one of the fortunate ones who has no trouble getting to sleep. Often I am asleep within MINUTES of my head hitting the pillow. I believe it's because I've programmed myself to know that when I get into bed, "it's time to sleep" - so much so, that I can't read in bed because I fall asleep.  It's a great habit actually....... 


Joan


4 comments:

  1. I couldn't agree with this more Joan. Recently I haven't been getting good sleep and it really impacts on so much of my waking life. I've heard too that you shouldn't watch TV or read in bed (or even have sex in bed) because bed should be just for sleep. This is to do with the programming thing you were talking about. So interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No wonder there is so much 'rubbish' in my brain! Not enough sleep for the last three years!

    ReplyDelete