Monday, November 17, 2014

ARE YOU FREE THIS WEEKEND FOR ANDY SMITH'S OPEN HOUSE?

Yes, this Blog post is a plug for my friend ANDY SMITH, but it's also an opportunity for you to enjoy some beautiful artwork.

This weekend is ANDY SMITH'S ANNUAL OPEN HOUSE, with the doors opening at 2pm on Friday. Andy and his wife Linda work for months to prepare for this event to showcase in their home/studio his originals, his Limited Edition prints and other prints. Linda cooks delicious finger foods, they serve wine and all of his new (and some older) paintings are on display, hoping for a buyer. Yes, we have to keep in mind that this is how they make their living.

They usually choose 2 originals each year that will become Limited Edition prints, but they aren't available until Open House. This year they are selling "HERITAGE" and "MISTY MORNING" - each selling for only $115 - FRAMED! If you can't make it to Lititz for their Open House, all paintings and prints can also be ordered online from www.andysmithartist.com, by email (andy@andysmithartist.com) or by phone (717-627-3383).

Yes..... PLUG, PLUG, PLUG.......  :)

"HERITAGE"



"MISTY MORNING"



Incredibly, ANDY is a self-taught artist. In my 30's I could only afford his "prints", but after I bought my first "original", there was no going back for me. Here is one of 2 early "prints" I still have that hangs in my guest room over the dresser.






I am now considered a "collector". Here is the first "original" that I purchased, which they subsequently printed, which makes the original more valuable. I just checked Andy's website and they still have these prints available for purchase - $45 unframed and $85 framed - CLICK HERE!!. This is hanging in my foyer. 






Naturally I think I have some of his best work. These two miniature paintings are from a trip to France that I was fortunate to share with them, for the marriage of their daughter Abbey, to Ben Hunter. What a sensational trip and destination wedding that was!!  I've also zoomed in so you can appreciate the detail of each painting.








Also a France painting, this is my most recently purchased and largest original. I apologize for the glare. When ANDY finished this one, I was astounded at how much the style resembled a MONET. As you can see, I placed it prominently over my fireplace.






PAINTING, especially watercolor painting has forever kept me in wonder. I seriously would love to know how a person does it. I graduated college with a degree in Art Education and I would have failed my watercolor class if a friend hadn't come to my rescue. How does the artist see in advance what colors to use and layers will be added and where to leave the white space? It truly boggles my mind.

HOW WE MET -  When I separated from my husband at age 25, I moved to a tiny apartment over a garage in Ephrata, PA, near the high school where I was teaching art. One day there was a knock on the door and it was an Avon Lady. Do Avon Ladies still knock on doors to make sales? Anyway, Linda was "The Avon Lady", we became immediate friends and have remained super close all of these years. And that's a LOT of years!! So, Linda too had just separated from her husband (the dirty dog!) and when my lease was up, she and I rented an apartment together. During that next year, Linda met Andy and at the end of our lease she moved in with him (and I moved in with my boyfriend at the time).

For years Linda and Andy worked separate jobs while he painted watercolors in his free time. Not too long after they were married, Andy started painting full-time and Linda continued to hold a full-time job at a local retail store. When Andy's paintings started to sell regularly, Linda quit her job to run Andy's business. She set the show schedules, sold the paintings, did the budget and accounting, matted and framed the paintings and they went on the road every weekend to Art Shows to broaden his exposure to people who might buy his work.

They continue to this day to travel to shows most weekends. Linda plans "excursions" en route to feed their combined passion for travel and discovering new things. AND Andy takes photographs everywhere to provide inspiration for his paintings.

I'm particularly attached to Andy's miniatures. I have quite a few, but here are some pics to give you an idea of the range of his subject matter.








His seasonal paintings are hard for me to resist. He has some adorable mini Christmas prints framed for $35 each - To purchase, click HERE. I love them!! They make excellent Hostess Gifts and Christmas gifts.  

Since we are still in the Fall season, I have to share my pumpkins with you, which I bring out each year and traditionally place on my kitchen counter, next to the stove - Linda's suggestion and I love it.






I'll be at ANDY'S OPEN HOUSE this Friday when the doors open at 2:00. Not everyone has the luxury of a free Friday afternoon, so Saturday or Sunday might be a better day for you??  Please indulge!!

ENJOY!!


Joan



4 comments:

  1. Lucky you to have discovered this wonderful artist early on. There are several prints and originals which caught my eye but my favorite is your favorite, the one on your mantle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good eye, Marjie!! There are 2 originals that will be at Open House that I think are quite special. I tend to like his "different" ones. Not sure if you saw them on Facebook but tell me what you think of these two: 2014 "Bistro" and 2014 "A Conversation". You have to click on the photo to see it enlarged and they really looked more stunning on FB AND in person.

      Delete
  2. What a great essay on Andy! But, you forgot to mention that there will be great homemade fudge at the Open House, at least after about 7 PM on Friday :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG - how rude of me John!!! Even though you are anonymous in this post, you easily gave away your identity. I'm looking forward to a piece of your fudge!! Ok, maybe 2 pieces. Ok, maybe 3...... See you on Friday (if I can stay that long.....)!!

      Delete