Wednesday, November 19, 2014

MY DISTASTE FOR PUBLIC BATHROOMS

Earlier this week I met my friend Anna for lunch at THE WHITE DOG CAFE in Wayne, PA.  Lunch was delicious as always (one of my favorite restaurants in the area).  We both had the tomato bisque soup and 1/2 of a turkey/swiss/cranberry/lettuce sandwich.  Yummy!!

Before leaving, we each hit the LADIES ROOM. The dreaded experience of using a public bathroom. I always enter tentatively, with my face all scrunched up, ready for an unpleasant experience - the smells, the dirt, the unkempt stalls, the drab decor...... I get that germophobic feeling of not wanting to touch ANYTHING!!

Ugh..... I HATE public Ladies Rooms. But I was pleasantly surprised at "The White Dog". So much so, that after Anna returned I HAD to go back and take some photos. It was one of the prettiest Ladies Rooms I've ever been in. What a nice surprise.

First of all, the signs on the doors indicating MEN vs LADIES Rooms made me smile - LOVED them. HOW CLEVER, right?!!





Framed photos of dogs all over the walls as soon as you walk in.  




Did you notice the ceramic sculptures of dogs by the wash basins (shown above and below)?




  "Dog Print" tiles all over the floor.  




Cast iron dog head hooks on the door in each stall.  




Hieroglyphic dogs etched in the wall tiles and a doggie toilet paper holder.........




I resisted the impulse to take a photo from the perspective of "sitting on the pot", 
but you can take my word for it, there was much to enjoy looking at!




To the other public toilets owners in the world - 
"TAKE NOTICE"!!!!   

With a little extra effort on their part, I could have less wrinkles on my face from scrunching before entering..........


Joan


10 comments:

  1. That is one incredible ladies room! What an improvement over what we most frequently see in public restrooms. Those are great pictures, Joan! ~ Carla

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll say Carla....... I'll never forget the one in a restaurant in rural Italy maybe 15 yrs ago - Unisex - A man in the stall next to me - No toilet - just a hole in the ground. My oh my oh my!!

      Delete
  2. Joan, you are so funny! Yes their rest room is incredible. One of the few in the area I don't mind entering. There are others just as "nice" just not decorated with the 'doggy' touches in the way the White Dog's is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My friend Jill and I were going to write a book back in the 80's about nice public toilets we had visited. I wish we had and I wish we had updated it several times...... this one is really beautiful and I might say the nicest so far.

      Delete
  3. So pretty! i love the ceramic dachsund... I love all of it. How nice to get a pleasant surprise with the restrooms rather than a nasty one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rachel - it sounds like you "feel my pain"...... and the ceramic dachshund was even more beautiful in person!

      Delete
  4. OMG This is mind boggling. I am still laughing and getting my head around the dog signs on the doors. What an interesting place Joan x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen, when I rounded the corner and saw "Pointer" I was immediately intrigued, and I too was giggling at how CLEVER the signs are. When I walked in the Ladies Room, I was in shock. I mean imagine me going BACK to a Ladies Room to take photos!!! Glad you got a chuckle too.

      Delete
  5. Many years ago I had an experience at the White Dog in Philadelphia. They had used something to clean the toilet seats that was very caustic. And not rinsed it. I got burned....!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THAT sounds like a very nasty, unpleasant memory for you!!! So sorry you had this experience!!
      PS Who wrote this, Anonymous?

      Delete