Friday, November 28, 2014

MAKING MEMORIES AT THANKSGIVING

Thanksgiving here yesterday in the USA - SOOOOO much to be thankful for - a wonderful life, freedom, family and friends.  And I'm also thankful that my sister Ellen cooks a delicious fresh Tom Turkey with our family recipe "stuffing", every year in her home!!

We were missing my nephew and his wife (alternating holidays with her family), but the rest were all present and we just barely fit around the table (the youngest joined the adults this year).  Eight adults and 5 children.  

My sister Jane remarked on Facebook that her favorite memory of the day was this -  

"As we circled the table with each person's declaration of what we were most grateful for, the 3 1/2 year old waited patiently for her turn.  Of 13 of us she was 3rd from the last to speak.  

When asked what she was most grateful for - with a big smile on her face, she boldly announced - "LAUGHTER!"  The whole crowd erupted into a hearty laugh.  She was so proud of herself.  It was absolutely priceless!"

There were so many memorable moments yesterday, but in case you missed what I posted on Facebook, some of my favorites were from the time that I spent with my 7 year old grand-nephew, Derek

He announced to all that he is changing his name to "Stuart". Later that evening I was snuggling with him in a big stuffed chair and asked how he came up with the name "Stuart"?

He said, "Well, I had it in my brain from a long time ago, like when I was 2. There are a lot of things in my brain that I have from a long time ago."

He also told me that since his "Gram" passed away (this Fall), she talks to him in his dream every night. He has total confidence that she is actually there with him - he sees her "with hair, not her wig and she looks so much better than she did the last time I saw her". What a gift he's been given, to have her visit each night with words of guidance.

He also spent over an hour giving me every detail about a World War II movie that he just watched (Kelly's Heroes), completely understanding and explaining that the Germans were trying to take over France and that the US soldiers helped to save France. I mean the "details" he remembered and explained were amazing.......

I LOVE this kid!!!   I LOVE my family!!!
If you celebrated Thanksgiving, I hope you too had a memorable day.

Joan


No comments:

Post a Comment